Adolescent and Youth Health Policy
Date: 11 to 15 September 2017 (Monday to Friday)
Venue: The President Hotel, Cape Town
Time: 09h00 - 17h00 daily. Thursday from 09h00 to 19h00.
Course fee is R 2 000 per person
This short-course has been developed to support staff of governmental & non-governmental organizations working at national, provincial & district levels, in the implementation of the new Adolescent & Youth Health Policy 2017 & allied policies.
- South African degree/diploma from a tertiary institution (a range of disciplines could be considered, healthcare professionals including nursing, teaching, social work, youth development)
- 2 years’ experience working in positions that support policies and programmes for adolescent health
- Demonstrate motivation to participate and an interest in sharing the information you will learn at the short-course with your organisation/community.
- Submission of a letter of recommendation from your line supervisor to partake in the residential portion of the course, and support the completion of an assignment to be undertake three months after the course.
- Completion of the application in full and in English.
The overall aim of this short course is:
To strengthen the capacity of people with management responsibilities for the implementation of the Adolescent & Youth Health Policy (AYHP) 2017, through:
- Improved knowledge about adolescence, key health problems affecting young people and priority evidence-based interventions to address them.
- Strengthened programming skills.
- Epidemiological overview of the adolescent health in South Africa
- Frameworks for responding to the needs of adolescents
- HIV, Sexually Transmitted Infections & TB
- Social determinants of adolescents' health
- Mental Health / Situation Analysis
- Adolescent participation in programmes
- AFHS or Scaling up health service provision to adolescents
- Substance use, illicit drugs (e.g. nyaope) & alcohol
- Adolescent nutrition and physical nutrition
- Intentional and unintentional injuries
- Social protection
Please download the application form and process.
For more information or to register email Adol.ShortCourse@ hiv-research.org.za.