Introduction to Palliative Care
Date: 5 March 2018
Venue: e-learning with 5 hours at hospice (See Module 3 below)
Time: n/a refer to full programme
Course fee is R 5 000 per person
CPD points = 30 | Level 1
Ethics = 5 | Level 1
The Introduction to palliative care short course provides basic training in palliative care to meet the recommendation of the 2014 World Health Assembly Resolution 67.19 and the South African Policy Framework and Strategy for Palliative Care (that all healthcare professionals should engage in basic training in palliative care).
This course will equip healthcare professionals and counselling professionals to undertake assessment and management of patients living with life-threatening and life-limiting illness, to improve their quality of life and to support their families in providing care at home.
The course requires 35 hours of self-directed study plus one 5 hour face-to-face session and is presented over a 4 month period.
The Introduction to Palliative Care has been developed as an e-learning course and will be presented by the Hospice Palliative Care Association on the University of Cape Town's Vula e-learning platform.
- Module 1: Principles of Palliative Care
- Module 2: Ethical Principles in Palliative Care
- Module 3: Communication skills in Palliative Care; Breaking Bad News and Building Hope
- Module 4: Pain Assessment and Management
- Module 5: Symptom Management
- Module 6: Psychosocial aspects of palliative care; family support
- Module 7: Culture, Spirituality and Sexuality
- Module 8: Teamwork, Care of the Caregiver and Resilience
A certificate of completion will be given to candidates who have successfully completed the course.
For more information or to register email email@example.com.