Introductory Course in Laboratory Animal Science
The Ethics, Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes
The University of Cape Town’s (UCT) Research Animal Facility will present its next biannual Introductory Course in Laboratory Animal Science from Monday 6th - Friday 10th November 2017.
Date: Monday 6th - Friday 10th November 2017
Venue: Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town
Time: daily from 08h00 - 17h00
*Please note: change in duration of course to 40 contact hours plus group discussions.
Entry requirements: Letter from your supervisor endorsing your participation in animal research.
Attending the 40-hour course and passing its assessments is a requirement for performing hands-on animal research or teaching activities in the UCT Faculty of Health Sciences(FHS).
The course is aimed at all persons who direct, design or conduct animal research, testing or teaching activities at UCT and in South Africa, with the objectives to present the basic principles and facts that underlie the responsible and ethical care and use of non-human animals for scientific purposes.
The UCT FHS Animal Ethics Committee accredits the course and a certificate will be issued upon successful completion of the course.
- Animal ethics (moral philosophy; legislation; standards; UCT policies; reduction, refinement & replacement)
- Animal welfare (welfare monitoring; humane endpoints; euthanasia; anaesthesia; analgesia; surgical principles)
- Research quality (study design; model validity; calculating sample size; statistics; limiting confounding factors)
- Biology & husbandry (behaviour; housing; enrichment; nutrition; anatomy; physiology; genetics; health status)
- Ethical review (how to complete an Animal Ethics Committee application to ensure a rapid turn-around time)
- Practical training (normal behaviour; welfare monitoring; rodent handling, restraint, injections & euthanasia)
*The updated course outline will be up on the website soon.
The course will be held at the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town.
Registration & Fees:
Course fee is R 4 500 (UCT staff/students are eligible for a discounted rate. Please enquire on application)